5.30.2009

Planting (Bead) Seeds

Who would have thought when the gladiator craze hit three years ago that it would still be growing strong in '09? With a fresh take on what is fast becoming a summer classic, Antik Batik has upped the ante by adding a bold pop of color and texture. Rejuvinate last season's It sandals sitting in your closet for round two simply by adding some seed beads. The candy colored shades punch up neutrals and liven basic blacks, which make accessorizing for a hot day easy breezy!


What You'll Need:
Gladiator sandals
Seed beads (variety of colors)

Superglue
Sharpie

Take your sharpie and section your sandal straps where the different color beads will meet. You may want to note which color goes where so you don't wind up getting too much of one color in a certain area (if you have OCD like me). Covering only one color section at a time, spread a thin layer of super glue over the sandal strap and pour the seed beads onto the wet glue.

Shake off the excess beads. To make sure the beads are secure spread another layer of either superglue or clear nail polish over the top. Using all your colors, make a circular pattern up the middle sandal strap then haphazardly drop beads around it. I impulsively grabbed these chunkier gladiators on a grocery excursion to Walmart, but I think the design is better suited on sandals with lots of thin straps.

xx,CC

22 comments:

MAGDArling said...

u realy amaze me;D
xoxox

Cypriotchick said...

wow they are really cool. i didn't buy any gladiators this year maybe i'll still be able to find a cheap pair somewhere hmmm...

Cypriotchick
cypriotchick.blogspot.com

L I L Y said...

I never really fancied the gladiators thats just because it used to be school uniform.

xl

Signe said...

It looks amazing, I wish I had the skills and patience for diy projects.

kisses from wasteland said...

You are such a genius!!

la petite fashionista said...

these are perfect!A nice take on the traditional gladiator. did you use a paintbrush to spread the glue?

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely adorable!

Hadley said...

eeee, such a cool idea! how do they hold up when you wear them out? these look great. :)

Samantha said...

Holy craft, Batman, these look better than the original.

MAGDArling said...

hey;D i gave u an award on my blog;)))
http://oh-so-me-magdarling.blogspot.com/2009/06/lovely-blogs.html
xoxox

Unknown said...

haha i should totally get some gladiators at the store and do this. im thinking of substituting the beads with other things like studs, cause studded gladiators are expensive.

SoleSista said...

wow how cute.. love this..

Margaux said...

These are adorable.
I think I'll try it!
Do all the little beads fall off easily though?

.cocobutterlipbalm said...

I adore the antik batik sandals I have got to hand it to you your copy is nearly as good as the real deal! -I think your blog is really quirky and chic - I'd really appreciate if you would check out my blog and become a follower on it! -http://cocobutterlipbalmx.blogspot.com/

Eda said...

What a cool project!

Anonymous said...

This is truely fabulous!!What a simple but brilliant idea!! You'll have to let us know how the beads are once you've walked around.. x

ADICTA A LAS COMPRAS said...

i love tou blog is amazing

Caramell said...

I don't know what to say. You're just a genius! ^^

Cancha-diction said...

these are so innovative! how long did this take you?

Chelsea said...

I would run out of patience after one strap. Well done.

J. said...

That's a great idea! They look great!

Lorena said...

Way cool....
you have some outrageous DIY here!