7.31.2008

Dye Job #2: Prada S/S 04

I'm not trying to fool anyone and claim that an item of clothing from 2004 can be called "vintage," but something about Prada's 2004 spring collection makes my heart skip a beat. It represents the time in my life when I was just discovering fashion. I distinctly remeber seeing a photo of Madonna wearing the dip-dye cardigan and thinking "I could make that...!" Unfortunately, Carbon Couturier's first DIY didn't end up so well; I had more red dye on my hands than the sweater! Ever since that ill-fated project I take notice when I see degradé items. So imagine my surprise when I stumbled across this Prada skirt at San Francisco thrift store Wasteland last week!

The best part: it was $28. Yes, $28 for Prada! The worst part: it was 2 sizes too small. Being too good a bargain to pass up, I insisted that my petite friend buy it instead.

Upon re-evaluation, I've concluded dip dying can't be that difficult. You can revitalize virtually any piece of clothing and the trend has withstood the test of time. Just last season Lacroix incorporated the look into his collection with ombre leggings. Now the question is, what random items of white clothing do you have lying around?

xx, CC

No comments: