10.20.2009

Lumberjack Luxe

Lumberjacks are not known for their sense of style, but thanks to a unique collaboration between Pendleton Woolen Mills and hip shop Opening Ceremony they're slowly finding their way out of the woods and onto the runway. To celebrate its 100th anniversary Pendleton lent its classic plaid and Native American print wools to OC for a line of updated button downs, mini-skirts, and blazers. Whether hitting the trail or heading to the metro, the classic flare coat is sure to make you stand out and keep warm this winter.


What You'll Need:

3 yards Native American print wool
Coat Pattern

Sewing Machine

Pin needles
Scissors

Thread


This was my first ever sewing machine DIY, so I'm not going to be much help in explaining any steps.

The chaos mid-project

I'm assuming if you own a sewing machine you are aware of its virtues and know how to use it. Pick out a coat pattern that resembles the OC coat in your size. *Warning* Measure yourself! Sewing pattern sizes run differently. I was able to find many similar patterns at my local fabric store. I ended up using one that was a wee bit long, so I shortened the hem line and the sleeves for a 3/4 length effect.


Next, pick out the fabric. My fabric was the inspiration behind this entire project. For years I would walk through Jo Ann's or Hancock Fabrics staring at the hideous felt and wool bolts. I wondered who on earth bought it and why there was always so much of it in stock. When I saw Pendleton's collab with OC, it reminded me of said fabric and I had my light bulb moment. I guarantee if you head to your local fabric store you will find a perfect match hidden beneath the High School Musical and Peter Rabbit prints. Lastly, take your pattern and fabric home and follow the instructions. Happy sewing!

The Secret Garden

xx,CC

4 comments:

bejeweledcreamer said...

beautiful coat!

Jennie said...

I've been on the look out for native american print fabric cause I want to make to make a cape but so far I've not found anything I like that is in my price range.
I love this jacket is very pretty & I bet it will be mighty cosy to wear this winter too :)

Sofi said...

That looks fantastic, love both the original and your own, wish I had the time to do something like that myself, but i think IƤll have to keep looking in second hand shops and on markets. But the colours and pattern is really, really, nice!

Anonymous said...

so cozy looking!