12.04.2008

Beaming Beamon

Vicki Beamon and Karen Erickson are well known for their jewelry line Erickson Beamon, but did you know they made home decor as well? Karen Erickson is single handedly responsible for coining the term "chandelier earring" in the 1980s after her designs, but her passion for chandeliers went one step further.

Behold, the Glam Rock Chandelier.


The antique brass based chandelier is dripping in Japanese glass pearls and Swarovski crystals. The piece has been on display in London's Victoria and Albert Museum for nearly 20 years, and it can be yours for the mere price of $32,500.00! C'mon, everyone needs a designer light fixture to properly see their couture garments underneath. Don't quite have the funds for such an extravagant purchase? Neither did Mama Couturiere. Wanting to spice up an old Williamsburg chandelier in her bathroom, she drew inspiration from this true objet d'art. Now we all know the origin of my creative genes...thanks Mama Couturiere!

What You'll Need:
Lighting fixture
5 strands garland (each 6 ft long)
Scissors

Whether you use a chandelier with mini shades or one lamp, start by cutting the outer fabric off the shade. Leave the inner layer of fabric in tact, and you'll be able to see the wire frame of the shade. For a mini shade, cut your 6 ft strand of Christmas pearl and crystal garland in half. Wrap the garland through the wire lamp frame (to hold in place) in a growth like pattern.


Repeat for all mini shades. If you're decorating a single lamp, you'll want to leave the garland long and wrap it in a spiral around the shade.

xx,CC

4 comments:

Karafina said...

i love chandeliers ..................! great diy, who knows if ill ever get around to it though!

♥ Guida said...

It's lovely! :D

Kiss from Portugal

Vera said...

i've been wanting a chandelier in my living room forever, i should probably get on that..

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled across your blog today and I have been lusting after chandeliers that I can't afford for the past year. I don't know why I didn't think of dolling up an old one myself! I will definitely do this once I find the time/room in my apartment that can carry it off.