2.14.2010

A Bolder Shoulder

From the flak jacket to cargo pants, uber-cool labels such as Rag & Bone, Y-3, and Alexander Wang confirmed military inspired get-ups are back with a vengeance for spring. This masculine trend can make some feel a bit skittish, but there's something to be had for everyone. Epaulettes, favored in the most extreme form by Lady Gaga, add the perfect finishing touch to any shirt or dress. Dressed up for an evening out or down for casual Friday, this army staple infuses a bit of extra polish into any occasion. Now that's something to salute!

Clockwise from top right: Kate Moss for Topshop, Balmain, Falconiere, Andrew Gn. Center: Alice + Olivia

What You'll Need:
T-shirt

1 sheet felt

Chain

Needle nose pliers

Needle

Thread
Sewing pins

Scissors


Begin by cutting two elliptical shape pieces (about the size of your shoulder) out of the felt. Next, sew the chain onto your felt pieces in a spiral pattern starting from the outside and working your way to the center.



Next, determine the placement of the epaulettes on your shirt (it helps to have the shirt on) and pin in place. Sewing around the outside edge of the felt, secure the epaulettes to the shirt. Lastly, drape some extra chain around the outside edge using your pliers.


xx,CC

26 comments:

jess said...

cara, i love this! so sexy!

Tee Elliott ^__^ said...

Wow the results so amazing..'m gonna to try making this thanks:) great idea.

Anke said...

Love, love, love your blog and your projects - wonderful!

jadeHONK said...

This is really, really cool! I might try this perhaps put some velcro or a button on the underside so I can remove them for washing, or maybe have a few different ones, for my more outlandish mood! GREAT idea though, I have seen other wise plain tees lke this selling for £40 over here!

Anonymous said...

So Cool! Wild Raurie

KellyandSofia said...

wow, thats a great idea, I think I might have a go and make that!
thanks for your ideas
xxx

Jul e Mo said...

I like your blog and your DIYs so much!Very original ideas!
Giulia

Eveliina said...

You're putting a lot of effort to this, which is really great!
Do you read Outsapop?
(outsapop.com)

Maybe you'd like to stop by in my blog sometime. Check out my "balmainish" and maybe you'd do a diy with my I want summer -shoes???

xoxo, Prefecta
Another Fab Day

Cafe Fashionista said...

Oh, I love the finished product. It's just perfect! :)

Renata Neris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Renata Neris said...

Write in Rio de Janeiro. I found your blog and am fascinated by your creativity. Congratulations. I loved their work. I will copy your ideas. Kiss

AGNES STYLE said...

wow, it looks amazing!=) check out my blog too!!

Rachel said...

omg im in DIY heaven. i will be blog stalking around here now because you are obviously super clever!
if you ever want to exchange ideas (i don't have nearly as many but i am crazy for DIY) come visit :)
www.littlegirlshinyworld.com

Melissa~ said...

Great DIY project, I'm working in something like this.

isabella whitney said...

awesome diy.

rundontwalk said...

amaaazing, i have spent a few hours today going through all the posts in your blog, you are so creative & your creations are perfect! keep up the good work hun! xox

mel said...

this is my first visit to your blog, and it's great!
love your DIY style, look forward to seeing more :)

ItsHER92 said...

I LOVE this ... you make it look so easy to re-create runway detail! This is the first time I've come across your blog but I am already following you now... Looking forward to more posts. :) Next time I have some spare money I will be trying this out :) ! Great Blog.

Gladstone Lawyers said...

Really a nice post. I cant wait to try it

Trina said...

Creative diy!

Abyssinia said...

shout out

http://withgreatpanache.blogspot.com/

Dasha said...

Great job <3
I love reading your blog, if you have a chance you can check out my blog and if you want follow as well: http://divalicious-life.blogspot.com :)

Tennis academy Melbourne said...

Wow so cool such a brilliant DIY

K A T H L E E N said...

very cute! come follow me xoxo

★nasli_ said...

Great diy :)i will do. you have got enjoy diy projects..
i like your blog ! i follow you ..
and wait u my blog :)) see u later xOxO..
www.nzlsyn.blogspot.com

Denisa said...

Completely in love with all your DIY projects!